Pontiac G6 is a well-known model of car produced by General Motors. This particular car was featured with the facilities of sports car editions. The modification went from 2004 to 2010 and the production came to an end. Many things worked behind the discontinuation of Pontiac G6. So, the end of its production has raised questions about its quality, service, and outfits. Therefore, is a Pontiac G6 a good car?
The Pontiac G6 models from 2005-2010 had continuous modifications. These cars are featured different high-speed engines, a modest level of mileage coverage, reasonable fuel efficiency, and installment of new technology for safety and comfort. From average and year-wise perspectives, a Pontiac G6 is a good car.
Here I have analyzed several things related to the facts behind the production and discontinuation of Pontiac G6.
Is a Pontiac G6 a good car?
To judge the quality of a Pontiac G6 car, we have to analyze the major facts related to its total functional capability and service levels. Let’s have an overview of some major features of Pontiac G6 to identify its quality:
Basic engine capacity and warranty:
2010 Pontiac G6: With the front wheel driving system, its engine has a capacity of 2.4 L. The gasoline-based engine can produce around 170 horsepower. The engine provides 3 years of warranty.
2009 Pontiac G6: This model has the same basic 2.4 L; incline 4 engine type exists in the model 2008 and similar warranty.
2008 Pontiac G6: The engine category and transmission are the same as the mode 2007 but the cylinder type is Inline 4. The 2.4 L engine can generate a horsepower of almost 164 at 6,400 rpm and carries 3 years of warranty.
2007 Pontiac G6: Its engine is also based on gasoline. There is a 4-speed shift-able automatic transmission facility. The 3.5 L, V6 engine can generate almost 224 horsepower at 5,800 rpm. It also has 3 years of warranty.
2006 Pontiac G6: It carries the engine capacity and warranties almost the same as the model of 2005 but the horsepower is increased to 227.
2005 Pontiac G6: It is fueled by Gas with a transmission category of a 4-speed automatic. It has a front-wheel driving type with V6 cylinders and 3 years of warranty. The basic 3.5 L engine can reach up to 200 horsepower at 5,600 rpm.
The final average mileage of all Pontiac G6 models can be as much as 270000 miles. With proper and regular maintenance, these cars can run smoothly for up to 17 years.
Technological and technical advancement:
There have been different improvements and additions in the models from 2005-2010.
- Pontiac G6 has a remote steering-controlling system
- Automatic and manual speed transmission.
- Installment of AC, auto locks, and USB facilities.
- Door options like a 2-door convertible, 2-door coupe, and 4-door sedan.
- There is a layout of transverse front-engine and front-wheel drive.
Here is a chart of the miles per gallon consumed by Pontiac G6 on different routes;
|Years of Pontiac G6 Models||Regular MPG||Highway MPG||City MPG|
Maintenance and repair costs of Pontiac G6:
The average cost of maintaining and repairing different parts is around $270 for all the models from 2005-2010. The costs may get higher in addition to the requirements of specific repairs and reach $1700.
|Sectors of repair and maintenance||Average costs|
|Headlight replacement or repair||$151|
|Car AC Repair||$371|
|Fuel Pressure Replacement and maintenance||$699|
|Plug and connection maintenance||$167|
|Steering repair and maintenance||$563|
Anti-lock brakes: Pontiac G6 cars are featured with an advanced anti-lock brakes system that helps to manage and wield the tires even after a hard brake. This help to move the car and take it to a safe position.
Front, side, and overhead impact airbags: Different models of Pontiac G6 come with three airbags. At the time of any possible collision or crash, the front, side, and overhead airbags will help to protect you from serious injuries.
Seatbelt detector: When there is any possibility of a crash or hazard, the sensor system of the seatbelt detector tightens the belt to protect the rider. Thus you can have a firm position to avoid serious collapse.
Security system: For preventing theft and unwanted intrusion, there is an advanced security system that will not let the engine start if it can sense any duplicate keys other than the original one.
Is a 2010 Pontiac G6 a good car?
General Motors wanted to continue the market value of the Pontiac G6 model and tried to reintroduce it in 2010. Here are some good features of this edition:
- 2010 Pontiac G6 is a further modified edition in a compact design.
- Various body styles like convertible, coupe, and sedan are available.
- The 4-cylinder engine generates almost 170 horsepower.
- It comes with 2 front and 3 rear seats providing wider space.
- It has both automatic and manual speed transmission systems.
Is a 2009 Pontiac G6 a good car?
After 2008, the manufacturers wanted to create a profitable market for this car. Therefore, the 2009 edition was brought to the market with some benefits like:
- This car had been installed with multiple functional changes in the sound and sensor system.
- There is a 2.4 L four-cylinder engine alongside a 6-speed transmission system with good horsepower.
- There are also multiple options on body styles like sedan, convertible, and coupe.
- The outfit and inner decorations are attractive with a sporty look.
- The installation of satellite radio and expanded seats make it more beneficial.
Is a 2008 Pontiac G6 a good car?
Inquest of generating sales, GM made another enriched version of Pontiac G6. This model was adorned with some new styles alongside previous combinations. Some attractive features are:
- General Motors included all previous features with engine modifications in the Pontiac G6 model of 2008,
- They turned GTP into the GXP with the inclusion of more dramatic styling cues.
- It has the 3.9 L engine which was featured with an exclusive convertible option.
- There is a speed transmission system with convertible horsepower levels.
- It has a sporty outlook and shiny color options.
Is a 2007 Pontiac G6 a good car?
With a new airbag system and engine enhancement, Pontiac G6, 07 tried to grab the attention of the consumers. It is one of the best G6 versions with qualities like:
- It is an exciting edition after 2006 for multiple upgrades in its engine.
- General Motors added GT alongside VVT on its 3.5 L V6 engine that raised power from 200 horsepower to 224.
- Multiple colors and body styles are available.
- Some advancement was added to the total functionality including manual and automatic speed transmission.
- It is a midsized car with a reasonably wide space.
Is a 2006 Pontiac G6 a good car?
This version was meant to be more acceptable with precise engine categories and digital advancement. The good things about this model are:
- For better changes and new facilities, the G6 edition of 2006 was introduced as an exciting Pontiac model.
- There is advancement in the sound system and USB port facility.
- The attachment of two new trim levels and modern body styles such as coupe and convertible top excited all.
- Cost-free 4-speed automatic transmission, manual transmission,
- New horsepower controls and enhanced steering facility all make it a good choice.
Is a 2005 Pontiac G6 a good car?
For establishing its position in the car market, Pontiac G6, 2005 edition was produced with some upgraded technology and features. These are:
- This G6 edition featured two advanced trim levels called the base V6 and the sportier GT.
- It had a 4-speed automatic transmission system for smooth driving.
- Manual gear selection was available for drivers.
- It has power locks, air conditioning, windows & mirrors with digital and automatic entry.
- A CD stereo, a power driver’s seat, and folding seats at the rear are nicely installed.
What Engines Come in the G6?
From the very beginning of production, Pontiac G6 had been installed with powerful engines. The 6-cylinder engine was replaced with a 4-cylinder and the transmission facility was available.
Gasoline engines can reach a high-level horsepower. These engines have an average horsepower of 150 to 240. The engines can be reformed with both automatic and manual speed transmissions.
|Years of the Pontiac G6 models||Engine Categories|
|2010 Pontiac G6||2.4L 4-Cylinder MFI, aluminum|
|2009 Pontiac G6||2.4 L four-cylinder, 3.5-liter V6, and 3.6L DOHC V-6 VVT|
|2008 Pontiac G6||2.4-liter four-cylinder, 3.6-liter V-6, 3.5-liter V-6, 3.9-liter V-6.|
|2007 Pontiac G6||2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder, a 3.5-liter V6, a 3.6-liter V6, or a 3.9-liter V6|
|2006 Pontiac G6||2.4-liter 4-cylinder, the 3.5-liter V6, and a 3.9-liter V6|
|2005 Pontiac G6||4-cylinder, a 3.5-liter V6, and a high-performance 3.9-liter V6|
Is the Pontiac G6 a Reliable Car?
Pontiac G6 started its journey as a luxury car with sporty features. High-speed engines and decorations are fascinating but some internal faults harmed its market value. It required some extra maintenance cost but by being repaired and maintained, this model can give long reliable service.
What are the most common problems with a Pontiac G6?
There are some common problems with Pontiac G6 cars which caused the profitability of this particular edition. Such as:
- Several customers found faults in the head and brake lights. These lights were reported to have low illuminating power and they even fail to ignite. A sudden malfunction of the light may lead to a safety crisis.
- Problems in the overall management of steering are also common. The editions of Pontiac G6 are found to fail in simultaneous steering so early.
- Another common problem is with the proper functioning of power steering. Many reported facing uncomfortable steering control after a certain period. This problem is most visible in the G6 models of 2005, 06, and 07.
- Pontiac G6 has an issue with a faulty catalytic converter. After covering a certain mileage, this problem was marked by several customers. The usual system seems to be interrupted because of this damage to the catalytic converter.
- Hinges on the vanity mirror are also problematic. Reports can be found about the lack of durability of the hinges.
- Door locks are also found to work inappropriately on sudden occasions. There is also an issue with the irritating noise out of the steering system.
- Installed CD players are also accused of not working properly after covering a certain mileage by G6 models of different years.
Are there any recalls on a Pontiac G6?
Yes, there are four official recalls for the Pontiac G6 made by NHTSA. These recalls are:
- The first issue which was marked against Pontiac G6 is about its seat upgrade. For generating sales rates, General Motors permitted the replacement of regular seats with leather coating. This could lessen the detection capability of the airbag sensor.
- The electronic power steering system was also reported to fail unanimously which can hardly be controlled by the driver. So, there is a risk of getting crashed.
- Another recall about Pontiac G6 had been about the deterioration of the brake light wiring. NHTSA marked the weakness of the wiring system of the brake lights which may prevent them from being lightened up.
- GM recalled another fact about Pontiac G6 that this model could roll on while being parked. The modification of the engine with a four-speed automatic transmission was marked as the probable reason behind that.
- The fourth recall was about the transmission shift cable. Its cable had been identified to have the potentiality of getting fractured while controlling the gears and provoke to go in an unexpected direction.
- The U-joint section of the steering part gives inadequate service which sometimes generates the risk of losing control.
In the article “Is a Pontiac G6 a good car?” we have tried to figure out all the authentic information regarding the history behind Pontiac G6. This model was even used in the form of a racing car. It has high-capacity horsepower in its engine and a stylish outlook.
Yet, they failed to carry on the manufacturing process. General Motors have to replace G6 with a new brand. I have put utmost effort to discover important issues about this discontinued Pontiac G6 model.
The research has been formed based on authentic sources so that you may know the reality. If you have a fascination with this particular version, you are supposed to know about the maintenance costs, pros, and cons. This in-depth discussion will lead you to the solution to the confusion about Pontiac G6 cars.